These are the preliminary results from the processing of privatization surveys:
|Total surveys received:||122|
|Communities that have contracted with a private company for any water or wastewater service:||26|
|Communities that would consider contract services:||26 (21%)|
|Communities that would not consider contract services:||75 (62%)|
Anecdotal Comments from Respondents
Greatest concerns about contract operations:
- Control of water rates.
- Length of the contract.
- Cost and cost control.
- Saving to the municipality.
- Quality and Accountability.
- Metering charge over costs.
- Sludge de-watering and disposal.
- Union objections.
- Impact on bargaining unit.
- Performance evaluation and emerging response.
Principal Reasons Respondents Choose Not to Explore Contract Operations:
- Capital cost and general cost such as maintenance.
- Loss of trained staff.
- Loss of control and liability.
- Village has own crew for operation.
- Most water lines have been updated.
- Possible loss of jobs for current employees.
- Have not heard good results from places that have contract operations.
- Difficult regulating or overseeing private contractors.
- The system runs efficiently.
- Do not need it.
Estimate of costs for water/wastewater Infrastructure Improvements in the next 5 years:
|Between $100,000 and $1 million:||38 (31%)|
|Between $ 1 million and $ 10 million:||51 (42%)|